Thursday, March 27, 2008

Yin and Yang

You'd never know it by looking at them, but Ryan and Lucie have been a bit sick this week. They've been running and jumping and dancing and dressing up and climbing and singing, though with a bit less gusto than usual. Once they took a break from all this action, something hit them and they both got sick at the exact same time (to the minute) 24 hours apart.

On the way home from the park on Wednesday, Ryan threw up all over the stroller. Poor guy. Fortunately we were just steps away from home for a quick clean-up. He then woke up sick after his nap (cleaning up stained crib sheets and bumper pads is my least favorite chore), and by late afternoon had declared himself "all betta". "Don worry, Mommy - I not goin' throw up again", he assured me. And so far, he's been right.

Strangely enough, the same thing happened to Lucie today. Minutes away from home in the stroller, she got suddenly sick. (One may wonder, why do I even bother leaving the house?) Yesterday, only half the stroller smelled bad, today, the other half needed a deep cleaning. She, too, got sick again after nap, and poor green blankie had to do two rounds through the washer to get back to its clean old self.

Lucie and Ryan are so sweet to each other when one isn't feeling well. After Ryan woke up sick, Lucie said to me, "Mommy, I woke up and Ryan was crying - I don yike it when he's sad!" She then spent the afternoon bringing him Bunny and cups of water. Today, Ryan sprinted off to the kitchen to get Lucie's "throw-up" bowl and helped me move her dirty laundry from washer to dryer. When Lucie woke up sick and sad, he asked her, "Lucie, do you wanna get in my crib wit me?"

Though they have their not-so-pleasant moments, we're very lucky that Lucie and Ryan get along so well. The way they care for each other and anticipate each other's needs reminds me of an old married couple, especially in this photo from breakfast. I could imagine the two of them someday drinking coffee together, Ryan passing the cream and sugar before Lucie even had a chance to ask. Both physically and emotionally, sometimes they really seem to be in harmony.

No comments: