Thursday, March 20, 2008

Musseling, Year 3

Each year around Christmas my Dad checks the tide tables to find a date with a low afternoon tide for musseling. It's only safe to eat mussels in months with an "R" in them (having to do with bacteria in the water during warm months, I believe?), which is why January, February and March are good options. Winter weather can sometimes make an afternoon at the beach an adventure. We've had rain showers a few times, but have only had to relocate to my parents' house once in all the years I can remember.

With three little ones among us, Rachel and I aren't as involved in collecting mussels and helping prepare them as we've been in the past. However, to make up for that, Lucie, Ryan and Tate provide all kinds of entertainment for the hard-working mussel collecting, cleaning and cooking crew.

After a stormy morning of rain and hail last Saturday, we arrived at the beach for clear and sunny weather - a perfect afternoon. One of the best moments of the day was watching Tate assume the quality control role and assistant to Papa that Lucie and Ryan had played the year before.

Lucie and Ryan spent time rolling in the sand, digging, dumping, exploring and enjoying a beautiful afternoon at the beach. Not only is it a rare treat to spend a winter day at the beach, but it's also very special to continue a tradition with my own kids that's been a part of my Dad's life since he was a boy. Hopefully when L & R are a bit bigger, I can pay more attention to my mom's recipe for boiling up the mussels on the beach. With sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and white wine, the broth alone is a delicacy!

No comments: