Sunday, March 23, 2008

Fireman and Party Girl at the Park

I knew last Wednesday would be a special day when Ryan asked to wear his fireman costume and Lucie wanted to wear tights and her "party" shoes. I had arranged for a children's singer to come visit our twins playgroup and Lucie and Ryan were very excited. We'd originally planned it for February, but got rained out, much to our disappointment. When L & R heard it was the reschedule day, it was time to pull out the celebration clothes - hooray!

As Lucie and Ryan's fashion choices predicted, the morning was very memorable. We had a great turnout of moms, one dad, tons of twins and their friends and siblings, and beautiful, clear blue skies. The kids all seemed to have a wonderful time dancing, jumping, shaking musical instruments, waving scarves and belting out "Twinkle-Twinkle" and the "ABC Song" with all their hearts. I know I frequently proclaim that something was the "cutest thing I've ever seen", but here's another to add to the list. All these joyful little singers and dancers were so amazingly sweet and charming to watch.

All I could think was how lucky I was to enjoy this morning with Lucie and Ryan. Yeah, motherhood has its exasperating, not so glamorous, and utterly exhausting moments. Being a parent is challenging, few (or maybe no one?) would argue with that. But times like this, when I'm surrounded by happy little people, including my fireman and little girl in party tights, make those trying times all fade away. This is truly what it's all about.

No comments: