Monday, October 27, 2008

"It be Fun!"

Lucie and Ryan started their first drop-off class a few weeks ago. I think -- no, I take that back -- I know I was more nervous than they were. When I started prepping them weeks before, I didn't know what to expect. Would they like the idea? How many tears would I see on the first day? There was no need to worry. They were so excited. As if to reassure me, Ryan said, "Mommy, you going to drop us off, go home, then come back in ONE hour -- okay? It be fun!"

He's right. It's very fun. Once I saw how easily they said good-bye to me on the first day, I knew they'd be fine. They spent an hour and fifteen minutes doing art projects and acting out stories with a teacher they adore while I had some free time. Glorious! I guess the butterflies in my stomach were not necessary.

Since then, they look forward to their class every week. When I pick them up, they each have three or four art projects waiting for me, as well as stories about the songs they sang or books they read. Originally, there were two boys in the class and four girls. But, it seems the boy has had a tougher time being away from his mom. So, now there are four girls and Ryan. Ryan doesn't mind. When they had a choice of making key chains or bracelets last week, he was thrilled to have all the key chain supplies to himself.

I'm so proud of Ryan and Lucie for jumping right into the class so effortlessly. I wonder if it's easier because they have each other, or if they're both simply just ready for this level of independence. Either way, we all embrace it.

1 comment:

ABlanca said...

Wow this is an exciting time...homeschool preschol and there first drop off class. There are becoming such independent little ones. I am proud of you all!
Love, Carey