Thursday, July 10, 2008

To Ryan, Nearly Age Three

You're having a blast running, jumping and climbing through the summer before your third birthday, Ryan. Here's a glimpse of caring, loyal, independent, enthusiastic, thoughtful, lightning-fast, big, strong, and incredibly sweet and lovable YOU!

You are an eager and willing helper. Any project around the house, from unloading the dishwasher to replacing electrical outlets to pruning bushes, is greatly improved by your help. When you're outside working with your Dad and he asks you to bring something in to me, you'll run at top speed and deliver it in record time to my hands. In seconds flat, you'll be back outside to help some more. I'm not quite sure what I'd do without your upbeat and willing help throughout the day.

You take care of us. If anyone falls or gets hurt, you're the first to run over and say, "That's okay, Mommy!" or "Can I get you Ducky, Lucie?" I'm constantly reminded of why my dear friend, and mother of two boys, Jen says, "Boys take care of their mothers". Fortunately for you, you're as good at soothing others as you are at soothing yourself. Whenever you get hurt, you'll cry out, "I wahn Bunny!" After a few minutes with Bunny, you're back in action.

Some kids like blue, red or green, but you love the color orange. Your favorite outfit to pick out in the morning is your orange shirt and orange shorts. When your Dad questions if the two different hues of orange look good together, you cry out confidently, "I think it will match!"

A boy after my own heart, you love to eat. And, you're a very adventurous eater. I often call you my little vegan boy because of your love of nuts and vegetables. Tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans, cashews, peas, and corn on the cob are some of your favorite foods. But if you really want to find the way to your heart, bring out the fresh fruit. When your grandparents brought fruit from their trees this past week, you were in heaven. All I heard all weekend was, "May I have anudda apricot?" At one point, you even turned down a 4th of July cookie (with sprinkles!) in favor of more plums.

You are an inquisitive guy. You love to know the how, why, when and where of everything. While reading a book on building skyscrapers together, you stop on every page to point and ask, "Whaz this thing?" or "How that work?" We spent a half an hour yesterday watching a garbage man load trash in his truck and you still wanted to stay longer. This morning you spent fifteen minutes watching the florist blow up balloons at the grocery store. If it involves levers, valves, wheels, tanks, trucks, shovels, diggers, hoists or gears, you love it.

When around other kids your age, you are inclusive and interested in others. You remember names easily, even if we've only met someone once or twice. You're friendly and outgoing to strangers, happily waving to people passing by our stroller (especially if they are walking a dog) and saying thank you to people who help us throughout the day. I'm touched by how many people notice your pleasant please and thank-you's. You're quite a polite guy.

We adore you, Mr. Ryan. As of age three, you are officially never allowed to grow up and leave your mother. I'll miss you way too much.

1 comment:

Amey said...

Oh Meggers,
These two posts are SO sweet, they brought tears to my eyes! It makes me wish I could spend more time with these sweet and special little beings. We just finished eating the apricots off our tree... it's still a baby tree, so we only got about 30 apricots. I can't wait for next year!
Thinking of you!
:) Amey