Friday, July 04, 2008

To Lucie, Nearly Age Three

As you enjoy the summer before your third birthday, Lucie, here's a glimpse of happy, creative, high spirited, opinionated, joyful, incredibly wonderful and lovable, and sniff, not-so-little anymore, YOU.

You love being part of a group. I've really started to notice this at our new gym class. Just mentioning the class makes you jump up with delight. As soon as the teacher starts circle time, you eagerly follow along, paying close attention to each new song or exercise. Watching you, it is clear that the group gains just as much energy and enthusiasm from you as you do from the group.

You adore all things about babies. You'll point out every baby at the park, declare which animals are the babies at the zoo, and even decide to be a baby yourself several times a day. Ducky is your favorite special pal to treat like a baby. You dress Ducky up in sleepers and even take him to use the potty in times of need. You're really in tune with that little duck.

You are our storyteller. When your Dad asks about your day, you'll narrate it with amazing accuracy, coming up with details that I had completely forgotten or failed to noticed. You're starting to make up stories to tell to Ducky, often following favorite books of yours, sometimes to the exact word, or beloved episodes of Clifford.

Though you love to help out with a project, sometimes you'll get distracted along the way. You were outside working in the yard last weekend when your Dad sent you in to ask me for something. Twenty minutes later, he came inside and said to me, "Never mind!" "Never mind, what?" I asked. I guess he had sent you in on an errand, waited for you, and then decided he didn't need whatever he had asked for. Good thing he didn't really need it, because you had completely forgotten and were busy putting Ducky down for a nap.

You're strong and determined. While climbing up a structure at a new park last week, you declared, "I'm a strong lady! I use my strong muscles!" and scaled the bars in no time flat. You climbed right up this tractor we saw in Michigan, even in your best party dress.

You're imaginative, creative and resourceful. Just this week you made a play-doh birthday cake for Uncle Jason, turned your toast into the letter "L" with small, determined bites, text messaged Uncle AJ on my new cell phone before I'd even figured out how to listen to voice mail, and turned your beloved green blankie into a scarf, toga, blanket for Ducky, diaper (fortunately never used) and picnic blanket.

To quote your Dad's famous song, "My Oh My I Love Gooseberry Pie!" We love you sweet girl.

1 comment:

Amey said...

Oh Meggers,
this post is SO sweet! It really makes me want to hang out with Lucie. :) What a special sweetie she is.