Thursday, September 17, 2009

Big Four Year Old Boy

To our Ryan, you sweet, lovable, thoughtful, athletic, fun-seeking boy -- you're days away from your four birthday! There's so much to capture about you at this age. I want to write it all down so I can always be reminded of this wonderful moment in time.

You are a boy in constant motion, kicking, running, jumping, throwing, skipping, and hopping through your days. One of your favorite activities is launching yourself from the couch, a chair, or the bed into an enormous pile of pillows and blankets. You have no fear as you fly through the air sporting a grin from ear to ear. Thankfully, you're still cautious enough not to make me totally lose my mind with anxiety, but your stunts do get my heart pounding.

You're constantly finding new ways to manipulate toys and objects around you. I'm amazed by the variety of tricks you come up with on your scooter, or how you can swing on the door to your room or the fridge. In the backyard or at the pool or park, I hear over and over again, "Watch me, Mommy! Isn't that a cool move?" It always is.

As a boy in constant motion, you share your Dad's love for roughhousing. You've created all sorts of games, favorites including "Daddy Rock" (climbing and somersaulting over Daddy), "Leg Lock" (trying to escape Daddy's grasp), "Lump" (hiding under the sheets for Daddy to find you) and, no explanation necessary here, "Tackle" . You could wrestle and tickle and roll on the floor with your Dad for hours.

Along with your physical, active side, you have a quiet, focused side that continues to enjoy creating, both in the kitchen and with art. You'll never pass down a chance to help prepare a meal, or make an art project, and you especially enjoy creating letters to send to family members. These letters often include cut-out photos of your favorite things, glued meticulously onto orange sheets of paper. You're learning what one would write in a letter, and can dictate sweet phrases for me to write like, "Dear Tate, I hope you are doing well. Here is a picture of a fire truck. Love, Ryan and Bunny".

Which brings me to another thing, your love for Bunny. You are devoted to that little guy. No matter how filthy or tattered he gets, you still adore him. Actually, the dirt and rips only seem to increase your love for him. You're fine with not toting him to preschool, but always remind me to bring him along when I pick you up. He's the first thing you grab as you climb into the stroller for the walk home. Bunny continues to bring you much comfort in the topsy-turvy, ever changing world of a preschooler.

Ryan, as your swim teacher put it, you're a pleasure to be around. I feel so lucky to watch you learn and grow each day. Happy Fourth Birthday Buddy! Promise me you won't grow too quickly this next year...

2 comments:

Jessica Heldman said...

Ryan is such a special friend to us. We wish this wonderful boy a wonderful fourth birthday! Love ya - Jessica, Noah, Ethan and Lucas

Kathy said...

I just love that you do this. I am going to do it again this year too. What a wonderful insight - to hear the reflections of a mother. L&R will really appreciate your words and the way you've created these memories of "how they were when..."