Monday, April 06, 2009

Evolution of Art

I've been enjoying watching Ryan and Lucie's drawings evolve from random scribbles to actual forms and shapes. I was amazed by this little girl Lucie recently drew, complete with a face, eyes, mouth, hair, and body. I didn't realize she'd be able to do that sort of thing on her own yet. After a bit of thought, she came up with a title for this picture too. It was called "Girl Wearing the Perfect Dress Who Dove Into the Sea When She Turned Four Years Old". That's such a Lucie title, so detailed and sweet. I had to write it all down to keep up.

Ryan's pictures have become very detailed, filling up the entire board or page with lines, circles and other shapes. When he describes his creations, they sound like complex systems and machines with gears to switch, ladders to climb and buttons to push. He gave this picture two titles, "Submarine Underwater Picture" and "Submarine with a Light and Delight". I love the second title, as I know that submarines do cause this little boy such delight.

1 comment:

Amey said...

"submarine with a light and delight" is so mesmerizing and poetic! It's just exactly the sort of thing a grown up would never come up with. I love it!