Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Feelings

During a low moment this week, Lucie and Ryan got into a tug-of-war over my watch. I had given it to Ryan to look at and naturally, Lucie wanted a turn too. As always, the biggest battles are fought over the silliest things.

I was busy making lunch and could hear them going back and forth, over and over again. "It's MY watch!" Ryan yelled at Lucie. "No, it's MY watch!" Lucie screamed back at the top of her lungs. When it became clear that things would only get worse, I had to step in.

Once everyone calmed down, we talked about taking turns, and how to politely ask for one. But, as I explained to them, what I was the most disappointed about was the yelling. I hated to hear them scream at each other like that. I asked Ryan how Lucie's yelling made him feel. "Sad, and like I want to hide" he wimpered. Then on to Lucie, how did being yelled at make her feel? She thought for a second, then pumped her fist in the air and proclaimed, "HUN-GRY!"

They both fell over in giggles, bringing me along for the ride. I got to hand it to her — Lucie does have a way of diffusing a tense situation. And off to lunch they went.

No comments: